Private Piano Instructor
MSoM, Montgomery, AL
The ideal candidate is preferably a piano instructor with 3-5 years of experience along with an accredited university degree in piano performance or pedagogy. This position is also open to a college graduate with at least a minor in piano or a junior or senior enrolled as a music major who has passed the sophomore barrier exams.
The teacher will be conducting private one-on-one sessions with beginners and early intermediates in a studio setting. Clients will primarily be children under the age of 17. Candidate will need to be adaptable to both the recreational music learners as well as the competitive minded musicians. The MSoM's students come from a variety of backgrounds. The teacher should be prepared to work around clients from different cultures, religions, and languages.
The trademark of piano lessons at MSoM has been and will continue to be that of fun, innovative integrations of technology into the learning environment. Thus, you must be technologically proficient to incorporate into the lesson times an assortment of sight-reading, rhythm, music-theory, and music recording applications (Mac, iPads, etc) available at the studio. There is a required training period of a 8-10 hours to observe how these programs are used with different clients based upon their needs and preferences. Teacher will be provided access to instruments, computers, iPads, and other equipment (along with operational training). If you are a beginning teacher, you will receive hands-on guidance in selecting curriculum appropriate for each client.
This is a year-round teaching position, with a schedule of 2 or 3 days per week (with a potential for full-time). The work hours for this position are primarily based upon the teacher's availability. However, depending on the demand of clients, candidate should also be prepared to accept responsibilities on Friday evenings, Saturday (10:00-2:00) and/or Sundays (2:00-4:30).
All jobs here are provided with non-compete understanding. Teachers cannot be engaged in private music lessons elsewhere in the surrounding area. Teachers also agree to not teach any students from MSoM for two years after their employment ends.
- BA in piano (degree in piano pedagogy preferred). Seniors can apply.
- Preference given to those with prior teaching experience.
- At least 10 years of piano study.
- Thorough knowledge of modern piano methods and a grasp on systematic instruction in technique and repertoire. (Be able to contrast methods like Faber and Faber, Snell, Bastien, Alfred Premier, Little Mozarts, etc)
- Understanding of MTNA and RCM standards
- Comfortability in teaching improvisation and beginning composition
- Strong emphasis on scales and sight-reading development in students
- Excellent communication skills
- Extreme patience, especially with younger students
- Punctual and professional in appearance
- Long-term residency in the local area
- Open to constructive feedback
- Technologically savy (e.g., recording equipment and software, MIDI, music training apps, etc.)
- Adept with social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc)
- Clean criminal background check (no prior convictions)
You are paid as an employee and will receive a W-2 at the end of the year. This means you do not have to pay the extra 7.65% tax rate were you working as self-employed.
- Renumeration is paid every two weeks, even when students are no-shows.
- You enjoy an administrative-free work environment. (MSoM manages scheduling, collections, and all other managerial functions). There are no utilities or advertisement expenses on your part.
- MSoM provides workman's comp and general liability insurance.
- Instruments, equipment (iPads, keyboards, recording equipment, etc), and teaching supplies are provided.
- Personalized MSoM business cards
- Regular video features on MSoM's social media sites
- Bio spotlight on MSoM's website and online scheduler
- Participation in MSoM's recitals at no costs
- Develop and use your own teaching approach
- Submit a short bio (Word, PDF, etc), along with expected hourly compensation.
- Submit resume with professional references.