Private String Instructor
Start Date: Immediately
Our string lessons have grown so as to necessitate hiring an additional teacher. The ideal candidate is preferably a violin instructor with 3-5 years of experience along with an accredited university degree in this instrument. We prefer a teacher comfortable in violin, viola AND cello. (Granted, this type of teacher is rare.) Preference given to candidate who demonstrates knowledge and experience in various string methods. Suzuki-only teachers will not fit in well here as we expect most of our students to read music within the first year. Thus, it is important that your teaching approach be broad.
If you are a recent music major graduate or about to complete your studies, please still apply for this position.
The teacher will be conducting private one-on-one sessions with beginners and early intermediates in a studio setting. Clients will primarily be children under the age of 17. Candidate will need to be adaptable to both the recreational music learners as well as the competitive minded musicians. MSoM's students come from a variety of backgrounds. The teacher should be prepared to work around clients from different cultures, religions, and languages.
The trademark of music lessons at MSoM has been and will continue to be that of fun, innovative integrations of technology into the learning environment. Thus, you must be technologically proficient to incorporate into the lesson times an assortment of sight-reading, rhythm, music-theory, and music recording applications (Mac, iPads, etc) available at the studio. There is a required training period of a 8-10 hours to observe how these programs are used with different clients based upon their needs and preferences. Teacher will be provided access to instruments, computers, iPads, and other equipment (along with operational training). If you are a beginning teacher, you will receive hands-on guidance in selecting curriculum appropriate for each client.
This is a year-round teaching position, with a schedule of 2 or 3 days per week (with a potential for full-time). The work hours for this position are primarily based upon the teacher's availability. However, depending on the demand of clients, candidate should also be prepared to accept responsibilities on Friday evenings, Saturday (10:00-2:00) and/or Sundays (2:00-4:30).
- Musical training at college level (Bachelor required). Seniors can still apply.
- Preference given to those with prior teaching experience, broad teaching approaches (e.g., Suzuki, traditional, etc), and comfortability on viola and cello
- Excellent communication skills
- Extreme patience, especially with younger students
- Punctual and professional in appearance
- Long-term residency in the local area
- Open to constructive feedback
- Technologically savy (e.g., recording equipment and software, MIDI, music training apps, etc.)
- Adept with social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc)
- Clean criminal background check (no prior convictions)
Compensation is based upon experience. Details discussed during interview. You are paid as an employee and will receive a W-2 at the end of the year. This means you do not have to pay the extra 7.65% tax rate were you working as self-employed.
- Renumeration is paid every two weeks, even when students are no-shows.
- You enjoy an administrative-free work environment. (MSoM manages scheduling, collections, and all other managerial functions). There are no utilities or advertisement expenses on your part.
- MSoM provides workman's comp and general liability insurance.
- Instruments, equipment (iPads, keyboards, recording equipment, etc), and teaching supplies are provided.
- Personalized MSoM business cards
- Regular video features on MSoM's social media sites
- Bio spotlight on MSoM's website and online scheduler
- Participation in MSoM's recitals at no costs
- Develop and use your own teaching approach
- Submit a short bio (Word, PDF, etc), along with expected hourly compensation.
- Submit resume with professional references.
All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.